Thursday, March 15, 2007


Photo Autumn Cross at Camp Allegheny
Annie Buckles (xanga anniebuck)

The Cross at a Distance

When I see His Cross,
The Cross of Christ
At a distance,
Removed:
It appears that my ideas,
My dreams,
My accomplishments,
Plans and suggestions
Yes – whew –
They are all safe here in my arms.

In the shadow of
The Cross of Christ.
At a distance,
Removed:
I examine this armful I have.
These things I can do -
Trophies , ribbons, diplomas.
My instruments, checkmarks and knowledge
Titles, ranks, opinions –
“Why are these opinions so important to me?”

I look in my arms
And
I look to the distance
The Cross of Christ,
Removed;
It seems so far away.
“Remind me,” I whisper to myself,
“This armful, why was it valuable?
Why, oh why did I ever collect them?
Hold onto them? Cherish and value them?”

When I see His Cross,
At a distance
I know…
I must run to it.
I cannot run with my arms this full.
These things are worthless…
I must discard them!
To embrace this Cross of Christ.
I cannot embrace when
My arms are so full of myself.
I must release these things.

There will be no room in my heart
For Christ
If I am full
Of myself.

I bow before
The Cross of Christ,
Near, up close:
Bending lower,
Can I bend lower still?
He emptied Himself of all but love:
I am willing to empty my arms, my heart,
To make room for Him.
Nothing in my arms –
Those things,
That lifelong collection –
They were never sinful.
But I repent that they,
Their mere presence,
Had the chance
To create any distance
From this Cross of Christ.

jsi

A huge cloud of witnesses is all around us. So let us throw off everything that stands in our way. Let us throw off off any sin, anything that makes a distance between us and God, it holds us so tightly. Let us keep running that race marked out for us. Let us keep looking to Jesus. He is the author of our faith. He also makes it perfect. He paid no attention to the shame of the cross. He embraced it, suffered there because of the joy He was looking forward to. Hebrews 12:1-2 (NIRV)

No comments: