Sunday, August 13, 2006

Secret keepers

There are many times in our lives we find ourselves being secret keepers. For friends. Relatives. Congregation. It is an awesome responsibility to be one who carries a secret. You know the part, not to blab! There are all kinds of secrets, and sometimes we are entrusted with the opportunities to carry a burden with someone. To be a silent support, "I know that you know that I know" or to be a release valve of confidence to help provide encouragement and courage for another who will need to share their dreaded secret. Sometimes, its a secret keeping that has a time limit - "I won't say anything until this appointed time, and if you don't I will". Sometimes our secrets are incredible, some are discouraging, but all of them require us to examine ourselves and see, what do we become when we carry a secret?
Are you someone who just can't hold it in - "Don't tell me, I can't keep it", or are you able to "put it in the vault?" Are you like a little gnat fly, buzzing aound, 'I know something I can't tell" or are you a tower of strength and security?
Some secrets I can't keep - my husband always knows what he is going to get for Christmas, always, not because he found it, but because I told him. When I knew I was pregnant, it wasn't information I could keep to myself because it was so present in my eyes (tears and joy). Confidential matters need confidential hearts, not loose lips.
How are you as a secret keeper?




I
have
a secret
I can’t tell ,
Yet as time goes
I cannot help but dwell
On the hidden, unexposed
Truth that I know. It sits and
It multiplies strength as it grows.
Try to forget it, no thing brings peace!
To tell just one heart, this clamoring may cease.
But what of this unadvertised, subterranean truth
If I release private thoughts, could it be so uncouth?
To have a someone, a trusted confidant and friend help
Share the burden, to protect and defend this classified, covert
Serendipitous thing. What could I do? Who could I bring to this
Circle of confidence, trusted, subdued, who will be just as careful and
Strong and true? Who is this hero, to share, strength renew – it is you?!.

whew

No comments: