Wednesday, August 9, 2006

The Creation of Adam

“The Creation of Adam” by artist Michaelangelo Buonarroti
This is one of the panels depicting the Genesis creation account painted in fresco in the ceiling of the Sistine Chapel by Michaelangelo. One of the most famous portraits in Western art, this view is centered upon two hands – to the right the hand of God and to the left the hand of Adam. Inspired by the medieval hymn called Veni, Creator Spiritus, Michaelangelo painted this from the lyrics, asking the “finger of the paternal right hand to give the faithful speech, love and strength.”
This panel is an artistic rendering of the Scripture, not literal, but this rendering has very powerful and symbolic meanings. But it is the hands that capture me, inspire me, hold me. The focal point of the entire panel is the near contact between the fingers of the Creator God and those of Adam. God’s reaching hand – strong, vibrant, active, muscular. Adam’s inanimate hand – weak, not alive, inactive, limp.
There are several inches between these two hands, when examining up close to the surface of the ceiling fresco, but the visual perspective a person receives when examining from the floor is that the distance is minute, miniscule, a split hair apart.
It takes my breath away to contemplate God’s creative action.
Ruach. The breath of God.
Ruach – the creative breath of God, imparted to man, his creation made in His image.“God created man in His own image, in the image of God He created them.” Genesis 1:27.
“The LORD God formed the man from the dust of the ground and breathed into his nostril the breath of life. (ruach). Genesis 2:7
As I transfer myself into the portrait in Adam’s place, God reaching down to me with strength and I reach up to him with weakness I comprehend my inadequacy. Anything I am able to do I because of ruach, God’s breath of life in me. My reaching to Him is inadequate, unable to bridge the full distance. But He reaches to me, covering the distance, crossing the line of separation, giving me life daily. Reaching me, finding me, saving me, keeping me. Ruach, His breath in me, transmitting His character to me, a believer who reaches for Him. I cannot be like Him without His creative action in me.
Lord, breathe in my life, transform my heart, purify my intentions, make me holy.
Just breathe.

No comments: