Friday, March 7, 2008

Holy Snowglobe, Batman!

I left for class this morning at 5:50 a.m., with not a single flake on the ground. There was no ice remaining from the ice storms, the roads were dry and the sky was clear. I made my 100 mile trip in awesome time. It has been a class tradition to have to face severe winter storms every single stinking Friday. The extra layer of trickiness has been when T.A.N.K. have their school cancelled - oy vey! So this morning, it felt like a treat, a breeze, a piece of cake and I even had enough time to stop at StarBucks for a "Venti Earl Grey Tea Misto, nonfat, no water, extra foam, sugar-free vanilla, leave the bag in please." We don't have a StarBucks in town, so its nice to get my fix of a London Fog when I can.

Yet within 10 minutes of arriving to Ashland Theological Seminary campus the flurries start flying and the alert for the severe winter storm is broadcast. Four hours later as we emerge from our New Testament class, the accumalation is phenomenal.

Instead of a 1 hour 25 minute drive, I just got home from a 3 hour 15 minute drive, in white out conditions, unable to drive any faster than 28 mph.
I am so glad to be home!
And since I took my laptop with me to class this morning instead of using my Palm T X and keyboard, I could access my Lotus Notes and find out, one after another, all of my obligations this weekend are cancelled, postponed, rearranged for another day. I went to class with 6 important, pressing responsibilities/privileges/concerts and came out with only worship on Sunday a.m. And right now, that has a question mark as to the condition on Sunday morning early. I have the phone numbers needed and the text and songs to tell everyone if necessary. Have you ever needed to cancel morning worship? I've only needed to do it once in 10 years, for conditions exactly what I am facing right now. Now, that being said, our family has been the only people who arrived for worship on some poor weather days, but we were there and we still had a condensed form of worship - though I will say, it kind of leaves me feeling very low when that happens.
I hate to get the schedule rescramble because of poor weather - we have had so much poor weather! Nothing seems more difficult than the cancel/postpone/reschedule - I've already promised all of that future time away. Yet, it means not having to conquer the Tundra tonight, tomorrow and driving hundreds of miles on Sunday.
Stay in, stay warm, stay dry, stay safe.
Posted by Picasa

3 comments:

Ali said...

WOW!

Nice to look at (beautiful photos!) but nasty to be caught in.

Mind you, we are off to the States on Saturday and as it's for a skiing holiday, I've got to hope we get a few good dumps of snow like that whilst we're there.

Keep warm, stay safe :-)

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Cosmo said...

Hi Jessie,

I meant to ask when you posted this: what are you studying? Can you tell us a little about it?