Friday, December 14, 2007

One Cup at a Time

Merry Christmas

I am humbled and inspired by God's activity within our appointment. His touch of restoration and transition have been slow but specific. There were 39 people in church on Sunday - quite a few who have returned after their first visit with someone else with them. What a difference from 5, what a huge difference. A niece, a fiance, a brother, an aunt. We even need to have a regular plan for Junior church for the little babies and toddlers. These past 6 months have included a varied layer of communication with so many community people, especially with those who have intentionally separated themselves from the corps in the past recent years.

One letter after another were delivered from our office, and in God's amazing way, many people have responded to "share a cup of coffee." Not as a group or as an execution line-up, but one at a time. Whew, because the strong things they needed to share wouldn't have worked in a group dialog very well. A cup of coffee is not a threat or a danger, yet it has opened up so many conversations, hard as they may be, and encouraged the beginning phases of dialog.

I'm glad I'm a decaf drinker, or I'd be a nerve jangling mess from the amount of coffee I have consumed over these talks. I don't need the caffeine, but I sure do love that aroma, that exquisite taste - the whole experience.

Being within the realm of transition (which is distinctly different from change) has not been easy or encouraging. This community doesn't trust the Army officer, and have held onto all the reasons in detail as to why, and show you by the fistful all of those reasons. They have names, dates, events, circumstances, wrong deeds - and they are legitimate and authentic I can't say they didn't happen or that the perspective was skewed.

Their rough and rude, cold and distant treatment of me and my husband have nothing to do with what we have done, and we have been instructed by too many to count, "Its not you, it's not personal..." as they continue with their words.

I have to disagree. If transition starts anywhere, it has to be personal.

It doesn't have to be slow, but frequently it is. Yet on Monday, I am heading out to deliver League of Mercy Christmas gifts to our community nursing homes, and there are signs that restoration is moving to a deeper level. Three people who are going with me are new to the corps and three are because of God's work through patient restoration. I don't need a present under my tree from my congregation to feel appreciated or loved - my heart is humbled and moved by God's activity through transformation and encouragement.

And it has happened, very personally, one cup at a time.

1 comment:

David said...

Thank you for your lovely post. I am a regular donor to the salvation army. I wish I could give more. I do what I can. I am a blogger here too. I hit the "next blog" button and it gave me your site. very nice of you to share your faith like that. I am a very shy Christian. I tried to go back to church a few years ago and did not really feel welcomed.But that is another story. I would love it if you would check out my blog. I shall try to read more of yours. Thank you.
David