Friday, June 15, 2007

Blasting


I don't always need a clock or a watch to know what time it is...and I know you understand what I mean. There are certain events which happen within our lives that are predictable, dependable that we can anticipate and these events have become part of the way we string together our day. I live in a railroad hub, and there are certain trains which are always coming through at 2:30 p.m. or 7:35 a.m.. They are predictable occurrences - I know which roads to avoid at what time of day. (That is, if I want to avoid a wait. Sometimes...I treasure a chance to wait, but let's keep that between you and me, eh?!.) Our home is within a 6 mile radius of 3 limestone quarries, and these quarries and their schedule make a big impact on our community.

They blast their aggregates with large amounts of explosives.

The first few times it happened I was startled, ran down to the basement to find out which of the walls had collapsed, then ran upstairs to find out which child had dropped a cherry bomb down the toilet and then ran outside to see if the roof on the back of the house had been ripped off. There was no damage to be found - innocent-looking children who "didn't do anything mommy" (yeah right, maybe not this time, but just you wait, I'll find out what you've been up to and then we're going round and round).

What could it be?

Once I found it, these blasts/tremors calmly became part of my morning, "Oh, it's 10:15". I will mention, I prefer the morning blasts to the afternoon wafting cloud...and that's all I will say about that. When my mom and mother-in-law both experienced their "first blast", I couldn't believe how I had placed it so cavalierly in my day. I have to admit, I had forgotten how amazingly surprised I was by the deep roaring sound and earthquake type tremors...my mom was a little shaky for about an hour. I should have warned her!

This past weekend at our Commissioning Congress in Hershey, PA Pastor Jim Cymbala drew us into the Scripture, into Isaiah 51, to reveal the Scripture's truest strength in revelation - GOD HAS A WORD TO SPEAK WITH YOU. He drew us all together to the edge of the a spiritual quarry to examine over the edge where we all came from. Isaiah's prophecy for 8 chapters is building up to chapter 51, and it includes the impact that the righteous God was calling His children to be righteous, to long for righteousness, to desire it, strive for it...righteousness was what they were created to have. Righteousness would be given by God's deepest gift to us - His Holy Presence. Not a gift from Him, not a gift chosen by Him, not a gift wrapped and delivered by Him - no the truest gift was The gift OF God.

I was so moved that he was drawn to share this Scripture with our united congregation: Isaiah 51 has had a hold on my heart for 4 months now, included in each devotional time I have, surrounded with new poetry and songs, and three new sermons. The listed poem below is one from April , and the photo is one of our nearby quarries. The Bible I had with me at Congress was the one I have used almost exclusively in these Scripture immersion times, and its margins were full of the annotated conversation God and I have been having. I was sharing my Bible with my oldest son, T. and he was following the dates and thoughts and the workings of my heart, "Boy, you really like this chapter, huh mom?!."

Yes, I really do.

Added to its margin is a Congress 06/07 date...
From the prophet Isaiah, "Listen to me, all you who are serious about right living and committed to seeking God. Ponder the rock from which you were cut, the quarry from which you were dug. Yes, ponder Abraham, your father and Sarah who bore you....Revelation flows from Me, My decisions light up the world. My deliverance arrives on the run, my salvation right on time. I'll bring justice to the peoples." Isaiah 51:1-2;4-6 The Message

Lord, I devote my heart to right living, to living for You. Change my heart to shine your love. Blast away the hardened parts which prevent my heart from being flexible, tender and supple. Keep me committed to seeking You - Your will, Your activity, Your touch, Your inspiration and guidance.

Blasting

The earth shakes, in its predictable way
It’s 10:15 a.m., not the dawn of the day:
The quarry, on duty, exactly on time
Is blasting it’s limestone, aggregates and lime.

The BLASTING that’s quaking,
That BLASTING that’s shaking
This BLASTING that’s making
Its roaring presence known;
Intentional blasting which reaches,
Stretches and grasps
Every corner, wall and window
Of my cul-de-sac home.

The earth shakes, in its predictable way
I don’t need a clock, the tremors convey
That the quarry, on duty, to the minute exact
Has its shift engaged and its explosives packed.

The LORD holds up a mirror
And calls me nearer…

My heart shakes, in its predictable way
I am before Holy God at the dawn of the day:
He is speaking on duty, exactly on time
And is blasting the hardness of heart that is mine.

The BLASTING that’s quaking,
That’s BLASTING that’s shaking,
This BLASTING that’s making
God’s Holy presence impart
Intentional blasting which reaches,
Stretches and grasps
Each room, shelf and closet
Of my cul-de-sac heart.

My heart shakes, in its predictable way
I don’t need a clock – I embrace this chance to pray
God’s presence, on duty, issuing a fresh start
Brings compelling love to satiate my heart.

He calls my name clearly
“Dear heart, keep yourself near Me.”

jsi

No comments: