Tuesday, October 30, 2007

As I unpacked my bag yesterday, I had to be near an electrical outlet, and not just the one which has two outlets open. Good grief, I needed the outlet that had the power cord multi-charger available. I'm going to take up most of the strip. Three years ago, I didn't even use a cell phone let alone own one, but those days seem a distant memory now. My cell phone needed charged desperately, its down to 1/2 bar; my palm pilot needed charged, as it was listed at 13% power. My laptop computer had just signaled me to immediately plug into an outlet as it had reached 8%...good grief I thought I turned it off before I zipped up that bag. I grab Dave's phone to make sure he gets charged up and plug in my camera so its internal battery will be full capacity tomorrow. Added to that is the rechargeable battery charger which prepares 6 AA for use and this power strip is maxxed out.

If I had an ipod, I think I could cause an electrical short in the house! Dave needed to find a different place to charge his laptop but that was primarily that he had some things to type and email...not the fault of the outlet or "charging station" as I have affectionately named it. He wants to videotape something tomorrow so the video camera is getting its battery juice capacity. Its rather embarrassing how many technological elements I am now carrying, working with and depending upon. Forget one power chord and I'm up a creek without a paddle. (And I wish that could only be a hypothetical description - missing one little piece of connection has wreaked havoc. Augh!)

My personal batteries have needed recharged and these past few days really brought the extra energy I have needed.

:accomplished tasks. Our Christmas sign-up week was met with advance thought, preparation, extra staples, extra helping hands and more chairs for an extended waiting room in the hallway. I had to miss three days of this years sign-ups (out of town, mandatory Annual Divisional Leadership Conference a.k.a. Officer Retreat), for the agency negotiations in our community who were doing their Christmas sign-ups were already selected for us, before we got here. Not everything went completely smooth or without glitches, but it was a good beginning to an involved and engaged season of generosity and need, ministry and joy. We will continue to take applications up through 12/12...(shhhhhh, be verwy, vewry quiet, lest those calendar avoiders overhear. When they try to lie and say they didn't know when Christmas was, I almost want to leave the room. Instead I pour a cup of coffee and let them know I know their lie is just a poor sounding explanation that bad things happen outside of their own control. Didn't know when Christmas was...hmmmm) And after 12/12 will be a waiting list, I actually take applications up until the day before distribution; it dawns on me know that my staff doesn't exactly know that yet. Monday will be a new day!

:sitting next to my sweetheart. So many times by the end of my week, I feel like Dave and I see each other coming and going more than right next to each other. Sometimes its the kid's schedule, sometimes its mine or his or the community, sometimes its the excessive flexibility ministry requires. But...some days it feels like Dave and I are like Clark Kent/Superman - never really in the same place, but everyone understands the other is somewhere nearby or will return soon. Our Officer Councils/Leadership Retreat gave us a chance to sit together, eat together, talk with friends, pray and worship together, ride in the truck next to each other, see a movie (oh, my ears are still blistered...why did I let them pressure me into Gone Baby Gone...never again) go to a restaurant. We shared more time together in those 2 1/2 days than we have in a month. There is a definite smile in my heart and on my face.

:Teaching from Esther. Bob Hostetler spoke and taught throughout the planned sessions primarily through Esther and his emphasis upon leading in the face of crisis, decisions within the face of fear, stability within the sea of uncertainty - he brought a good word from the Good Word. And he finalized his points with the illumination - we have been given the authority to do something about the wrongness/poverty/sin/brokenness we encounter. Bob is an inspiration and a motivation within the realm of God's ministry.

:watching an infant mold to mom's embrace. It is so inspiring to watch a young hearts simply shine with the inescapable wave of falling in love with the new baby in their life. What a privilege you shared with us all, to simply be able to watch this little life wrap himself through your hearts.

:throwing the letter away. I hate being away from my kids, even though I know a break is beneficial for all of us. With an aunt who was able to give her time for the evenings and mornings, dinner and bedtime, breakfast and bus times, everything had the possibility of running smoothly. But I still had to write the letter, the dreaded letter. I hate it when I have to write it, and I'm never in a good mood after I've done it. You know the letter...the one with each child's birthdate and social security number, accompanied by the insurance card. A list of your cell phone numbers, and the mileage from where we will be traveling. And the birthdate and full name and social security number of the person in whom the insurance is under. With directions how to get to the hospital. And legal guardianship authority to begin filling out any paperwork so that there would not need to be a delay in medical treatment. Once again, the preparation and writing of this letter was not needed and I could just sweep it into the trashcan, unapologetically, unsentimental. Good riddance.

:a book finished. Not for study or for assignment, but just for the sheer pleasure of reading. I have been reading about 300 pages a week, mostly for Master's classes. But yesterday I finished Jane Eyre (3rd time with the gem, and still things to learn and gain) and felt like I completed something very stabilizing.

:a trip to the library. Every one got three books and this afternoon was rainy outside so we sat and lounged and read.

:affirmation. It is so amazingly empowering to hear a trusted confidante say the words, "You are right, this is not your imagination, you are not wrong..."

:gingerbread house competition. A. and I will put in our application for the community Gingerbread house competition, and we searched this afternoon for the perfect recipe.

:hearing the piano from around the corner. I am happy to do the dishes as my daughter is playing her recital piece. It keeps a song in my heart, and I don't care if I have dish-panned hands to show for it.

My batteries, my private inner batteries are recharged and replenished tonight. God's blessing is deep and wide.

2 comments:

Cosmo said...

Hi Jessie,

I've been meaning to leave a comment on your blog for ages - thanks for all the times you visit mine!

Our reliance on all things electrical is really quite scary. I'm glad you were personally able to recharge on all things natural.

By the way, a post from a few days ago refered to the phrase, 'Bidden or not...' There is a great art studio in Ireland that make various celtic/Christian/insprirational pieces. One is a carving of this phrase. Here't the link:

http://www.wildgoosestudio.com/designs.php?id=71

God bless!

Nancy Mon said...

Good Morning Jessie. I stumbled upon your blog this morning and what a good stumble it is. I enjoy reading your posts, especially this one.

I work as a Ministries Associate at First Baptist Houston and know how my battery needs to be recharged by The Word and God's presence in the ordinary sacred. Thanks for sharing this in your blog. I will be back to read again.

Oh, I am not skipping church this morning. I work and attend our evening Sunday night service.
Nancy