Thursday, May 10, 2007

Pioneer

Pioneer Women by Joanna Stratton, wow, has this book been compelling reading. I can't help but to place myself in the shoes of the characters of the past...would I have had the courage, the strength, the tenacity to leave behind everything I knew as home to strive for a dream? Could I keep my children alive, my husband alive, perform all those surgeries, save all those souls?

There are no Conestoga wagons leaving the Mississippi River to venture into the untamed west - the physical frontier does not exist anymore. But there are still frontier pioneers, on spiritual journeys, encountering the unknown, the unclear, the dangerous, the undefined. Some dear friends I know who are encountering a personal frontier right now. A new diagnoses. A new widowhood. A new grief to not be able to use that long expected baby's blanket. A new job. A marriage. A divorce. A planned surgery or an unplanned surgery. A ministry. A broken friendship.

Are you one, a pioneer, balancing upon the edge of a knife into the unknown? God our holy Father has gone on before you, and promises to be with you every step of the way. Hold onto Him with all you've got.

Pioneer
Hold on with all the strength you have, press on through your fear;

You walk into this unknown - You are a pioneer!

Loving Jehovah has walked before you, taken extra care, He is so near,

He has gone ahead, cleared the way - you are His pioneer.



See His hand there, hold it plain - the path you walk seems so unclear;

But our loving Lord knows every step. He is with you, tired pioneer.

You travel light, so little you bring into this new unbroken frontier,

Press on with courage, every step in your voyage, trembling pioneer.



The journey is long, steep, rocky, cold and though your heart is sincere

The darkness can feel oppressive, strong and gentle pioneer.

Our Guiding, Holy, Loving Father anticipates each single fear

Your steps feel lonely, but you are not alone in your voyage, pioneer.



Every heart break, each loneliness, uncertain steps severe

Have been prepared by God for you, faithful pioneer.

Other roads you pass...they are smooth and safe and clear.

You may be tempted to abandon this one, discouraged pioneer.



But your Holy Father has gone on before you and left His signposts - persevere!

Your journey is not easy, but it's yours, no one else's- have courage hopeful pioneer.

Hold on with all the strength you have. Press on, through all your fear,

You have obeyed the call of God, He is with you, weary pioneer.



Your steps feel uncertain,the path seems to disappear

Yet the Holy Father is there with you. You are His, faithful pioneer.



jsi

God Almighty, tender in love says, "I'll show up and take care of you as I promised and bring you back home from your journey. I know what I AM doing. I have it all planned out- plans to take care of you and not abandon you, plans to give you a future to hope for. When you call on me, when you come and pray to me, I will listen. When you come looking for me, you'll find me. Yes, when you get serious about finding me and want it more than anything else, I'll make sure you are never disappointed. Jeremiah 29:10b-14a The Message

No comments: