Friday, September 22, 2006

Ali Babba and His Treasure Cave

Everyone needs a sick day. Yesterday was a sick day for my youngest son N. (8 on Sunday) who has had a penchant for jumping off of all things higher than 4 feet. In one of his jumping escapades recently, he lost his shoe (those pesky. slippery things!) and landed on his unprotected foot flat. He didn't twist his ankle or show signs of a broken bone, but pain was present. So yesterday, instead of heading to the school bus, he and I visited the ER for xrays and examination...what a nice morning we had (if you look past the pain thing!) Nothing broken, but a deep bruise which will be a pain for a few days.
Waiting for our nurse, we watched It's The Race of Your Life Charlie Brown on a small tv and I have to admit that I had forgotten that my kiddos haven't seen these gentle predictable stories like I have. When I was young there were only 5 channels (2 were PBS) and it was a special night to have cartoons. My children have cartoon access so easily these days, but many of the cable cartoons I don't like and we don't watch. (I find I say no more than I say yes, but the kids know the reasons why I say yes, so they begin evaluating themselves. And I will always say yes to Bugs Bunny and Tom and Jerry!) But Charlie Brown, there's a guy with a story. Boy in lap, arms embraced we sat through what could have been an excruciating ER wait oblivious to the world. N. opened up to me in a way he hasn't done in a while, just because he could feel I was thoroughly focused on him. We giggled at jokes, talked about friends, he shared what he expected for his birthday, talked about his new teacher, he told me a few things he's been worried about - I felt like I was Ali Babba and had said "Open Sesame" and the cave with ultimate treasure was discovered.
He wasn't competing with his younger and older brothers and sisters, angry about losing a game(again), correcting anyone's obvious faux pas about the true colors of the characters of the Power Rangers or how many legs a centipede really does have. He was the funny, observant, sharp-witted thoughtful boy that I seem to see so easily. I have learned more about the confusing and sometimes unknowable species known as grown men from the life of insight I have gained from my young boys. I don't want it to sound demeaning, I feel its been an act of grace from God to see the development of the male mind - it contains features that can be so foreign to a female such as myself!
After the ER visit we shared a happy meal and off to school for him. The hours that I lost were extremely inconvenient and totally restructured my day: I may not be able to finish some of this until Tuesday. But I wouldn't dream of passing up the Cave of Treasures for anything in the world. I feel so rich and blessed...
And no amount of hopeful thought pattern is going to change the reality that is plain and clear...I'm sick as a dog and there is no sick day for mom. I've been navigating these past 9 days with a head cold the size of Brazil doing the mambo and cha cha in my head. Christmas is coming and the corps responsibilities are getting demanding, kettles is just around the corner. Advisory Board meetings, (6:30 a.m.) and this is my Sunday to preach, and I need a voice to be able to speak that doesn't sound like its trapped in an airplane hanger. Since the weather has turned cold there are more people who need utility assistance, the community needs my husband's and my presence more than before especially in light of court appearances - there isn't a break . So I'll be popping Alka Seltzer cold medicine, Halls Methalyptus and hot tea and chicken soup - what a cocktail!
Enjoy your day today!

1 comment:

Tim said...

Hey good to see you online! Where are you guys???