Tuesday, July 25, 2006

The natives are restless

We live ½ mile away from the township schools – one of the elementary, the middle and high school.  They are positioned very close to each, sort of like the north-south-east sections of a compass.  And unifying them all is the large area of prepared turf used for the soccer, baseball, track and football fields.  And the stadium and bleachers bring it all together in a dramatic central focal point.  Here is where the action has been all summer, constantly busy with different teams, concerts, festivals, outside competitions.  It seems as busy as if there are still full classes going on and the full student body is on campus, even though it has been summer break.
And now is the preparation for the sacred time of OH high school rituals – football camp and marching band practice.  We live close enough that in the early evening, we get serenaded by the high school band – quite good by the way.  The music program in our neck of the woods is very carefully developed and nurtured for teenage participation in the large marching band during the high school years.
     Were you ever in marching band in high school?  I must say – I love marching band!  I watch most college football games to get a glimpse of the band, love the halftime shows, LOVE THE BAND!  I went to a high school which had a highly structured band, but only marched 120 people during the season.  You didn’t have to be in marching band to be in the band program, and since I worked at camp in the summer (needing the cash) I wasn’t home for the late July/ August practices – I am a musician which didn’t march.  I was in the wind ensemble and orchestra during marching band season, but I was at as many practices as I could be – all my friends were there!  I went to every home game, knew all the cheers, knew the songs, hung out in the band section, and brought hot chocolate when it got cold.  Wore my school colors on Fridays and knew all four verses to our alma mater – “Close beside Cuyahoga’s waters, on this hallowed ground…”  Band fan extraordinaire!
I would leave home and walk toward school on Thursday night, living a mile away, and be beaconed to practice by the percussion squads – the drum beats, rudiments  and drills.   Strange how so much of my past memories of can be tied up so strongly with marching band practice.  High and college were filled with marching band, for I was studying music education, and you can’t get away from marching band – it’s a must-do.  And I did my student teaching within the Stow area schools, and got to participate in helping fifth graders learn how to hold a clarinet, help the middle school students play together as an ensemble, but the piece de resistance – the high school marching band.
The band director was an OSU alumni, and brought from Ohio State the signature move of the band – Script Ohio.  At OSU (B.D.B.I.T.L. – the Best …  Band In The Land)), while playing their particular march, the entire band, in formation of a long line, plays follow the leader, spelling out Ohio in script – it’s a thing a beauty to behold.  The simplicity, the power, ah!  And the final person, the focal point is the dot on the I, as a sousaphone player struts high step out the length of the field to take his place of honor and stardom – wait for it, here it come – TADA!  The dot on the I is a special privilege.
Well, script Stow is a different story and I can’t help cracking up now, even as I type, even as this was nearly 20 years ago now for me.  Chosen march, check; band in formation, straight line, check; marching single file, check; but then as you see the name of the school spelled before you – Slow.  WHAT?!.  Yep, there it is Slow, and you know to wait for something else, the finishing squad, that will focus your attention to their place of honor.  A squad of six, usually seniors, a privilege – and they bring their squad across the field as they cross the l and make it a t – Script Stow.
You may not find it as funny as I do, but as I listen to the drums of the restless natives, I am transported back to a time which was simpler.  As I walk down the street to watch the marching band practice, I am more centered and calm as I am connected to something in me which is primal to who I am.

No comments: